Genre: ethereal dream-pop, faery-goth, medieval, baroque, ambient folk-rock, celtic fantasy.
Frequent themes: faerylore, mythology, parallel lives, immortal poetry, ghosts, magic-realism.
Leading Instrument: voice.
(Also plays mandolin, guitar, sansula, ocarina, keyboards, firesticks, chimes, with guest musicians accompanying her on such instruments as harp, charango, piano, clarinet, viola, dulcimer, oboe, bass, recorder, glissando, hurdy-gurdy, bouzouki, percussion, flute, etc.)
Main Label: Prikosnovenie, France: www.prikosnovenie.com
Main Producer: Brett Taylor (Pilgrim Arts), Coromandel Valley, South Australia.
Other Australian Producers: Harry Williamson (Spring Studio) & Jack Setton (Mad Cat Sound).
Next anticipated release:illustrated fantasy book / cd, Elderbrook: http://www.elderbrook.com.au
Next overseas tour: no earlier than 2013.
Concert Report 2009 (Link current as at 2012): Louisa live at Faerieworlds festival, USA. Review by Leaf at Technogypsie: http://www.technogypsie.com/reviews/?p=672
Live footage at Trolls et Legendes, Belgium, 2009:
Other You-Tube clips:
‘Muse’, directed by Toby & Brian Froud, to Louisa’s song ‘Which of these Worlds?’ from her album Apple Pentacle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahBe3Znj8lY
Discography, solo albums: (complete discography)
- Label in France: http://www.prikosnovenie.com
- Book-cd / audio-reading / chronicles: http://www.elderbrook.com.au
- Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/louisajohnkrol
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=750726667&ref=tn_tnmn
- Linkedin: http://au.linkedin.com/pub/louisa-john-krol/13/205/475
- Fairy Cat Djinn’s Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/pantherlina
- Fairy Cat Dulcinea’s Blog: http://dulciesdalliance.blogspot.com
Selected Reviews in brief:
More reviews and specific album reviews in the discography section.
“spiritual pearls and sounds from fantasy land”
Khimaira magazine, Belgium
“A veritable joy for the unconditional dreamers that we are”
Elegy magazine, France
“enchanted reveries bewitch the listener… timeless faery music… vastly rewarding”
Highwire Daze magazine, America
“genre-bending musical style… a compelling artist”
Fiend magazine, Australia
“few female artists have impressed me so much since Nico or Kate Bush”
“a beautiful arc of music… a gem for fans of Heavenly Voices…”
“as beautiful and varied as the country she evokes”
Cynfeirdd – Friendship Culture, France
Vampiria magazine, Italy
“worthy of some Medieval epic”
Heathen Harvest, America
“Music for elves, dreamers, thinkers… truly amazing”
Gothtronic, The Netherlands
“a beautiful juice impressive and amazing… apocalyptic”
Feedback magazine, Portugal
“the voice of the Australian fairy takes a width and a depth close to the divine”
“ethereal elegant Pop music heavily influenced by… folklore and literature”
Pentacle magazine, England
“Australian queen of new-age and esotericism”
Side-Line magazine, Belgium
“eerie… dreamy… ethereal folk”
Rhythms magazine, Australia
“giddily beautiful…mandolin mad… untamed and lovely”
Ethereality & Ecto, America
“All borders broken and crossed. You’ll be under the spell of this music enchantress quickly”
The Penny Dreadful webzine, Germany
“a jewel in romantic pop-ethereal fairy music”
L’Ame Electrique magazine, Greece
“Lash yourselves to the mast”
Awards & Attainments in brief:
- Jessie Nott Memorial Prize for Music (Year 12, 1983, MCEGGS).
- Zatorski Prize for Creative Achievement, Ormond College.
- Bachelor of Arts & Diploma of Education, University of Melbourne.
- 6 solo CDs (as of 2012), mostly released on www.prikosnovenie.com in France, as many collaboration albums.
- Featured in Carnets Noirs – musiques, attitudes, cultures – Acte I – La Scene Internationale, a hardcover book published in France (Editions Espirit Livres). www.premonition.org/premor.php3?lien=actu/actu.php3X1Xactuid=213009&ta=10
- Inspired the story ‘Louisa’ published in the book Mon Dernier The by Alyz Tale in France.
- Won the Music Award at Trolls et Legendes festival, 2009, Belgium.
- CJ Dennis Literary Award for Poetry, 2010 for poem Twenty Ways to Greet a Tiger.
- Several articles, articles or short stories published in various journals & books, most recently in 2011 Award Winning Australian Writing (Melbourne Books).
- Working as a fairy storyteller (e.g. Royal Melbourne Show, Wonderwings Fairy Shop, Como House, Rippon Lea, Litfest, Royal Botanic Gardens, Victorian Arts Centre, etc).
- Other employment: teaching Humanities (12 years, mostly with new immigrants including refugees & asylum seekers); more recently administration at Monash University in field of environmental science (water harvesting, stream ecology etc).